Onewheel suspension

• Just another Onewheel suspension build:
    I had some Pint parts laying around and decided to try my hand at building a suspension system. I would've liked to fabricate it in aluminum, but didn't have the required stock on hand, also my aluminum tig skills are hit and miss.

• swing arm is 1-1/2 x 1/2 inch .065 mild steel
      -1 by .120 inch dom tubing for the pivot
      -swing arm axle is 1/2 inch ss with brass bushings
      -Pint rails are redrilled for the swing arm pivot (wish the rails were 2 inches longer)
      -I have to make a front shock mount, trying to get the proper geometry.
      -controller and battery box are printed, but I may use a Plus controller instead of a vesc
      If my Kiilguard 6.5 order comes in then this project will be on the back burner.
      Also if this project doesn't work properly, then I'll use the swingarm and motor on a diy scooter.
      The board is the same width as a XR but slightly longer than a Pint.
      Update: Fabricated front shock mount.
      IMG_4447.JPG IMG_4480.JPGIMG_4484 1.jpg
      IMG_E4460.JPG IMG_E4486 1.jpg IMG_E4490 1.jpg

• @lemur This looks really cool. Does it work?

• The suspension works great with 50psi for my weight, I have to install the electronics next.

• @lemur Impressive build!
    As much as I think the killguards are cool these look like they're much smoother to use and less prone to ripping shins on accidental dismounts.

• @Lia said in Onewheel suspension:

less prone to ripping shins on accidental dismounts

yes. this. a thousand times this.

• Wow. Another one with notably well craftsmanship and innovation.
    @lemur have you weighted your prototype at current state?

• @Sirgu
    Thanks. I haven't weighed it yet, but it'll be heavy. I will make it out of aluminum next time.

• @Sirgu and @lemur -- Onewheel weight is not necessarily as big an issue as seems to be assumed. While it matters most when carrying the board, especially for any distance, in general it seems to me that is a fairly rare occurrence. My boards are heavy with wet and massive 2x4 framed fenders, steel channel defining fender position on the rails, carbon steel rails, an EGO 10ah battery, a heavy ratchet strap to hold it all together tightly -- as well as the added weight of some other modifications. In and out of the car I lift -- but if I run out of battery on the paved trail I find a crooked stick and tow the Onewheel. Perhaps it is different on a dirt single track through the woods with rocks and roots. But for me, I quit worrying about how much the Onewheel weighs.

• @blkwalnutgrwr
    Definitely, my XR with the extended battery is a bear to lug around and some of the euc's weigh 50lbs and up, but you don't have to carry an euc except going upstairs.

• Was just curious. Love the numbers 'n details.
    [ I don't do any jump-tricks or anything. So I don't necessarily worry about weight in general. Having myself steel plates instead of plastic Float plates and so forth. But this isn`t a thread about that.. ]

@lemur said in Onewheel suspension:

-I have to make a front shock mount, trying to get the proper geometry.

Do you actually meant BACK shock mount?
    The swing-arm pivot point is on controller side (blue printed box)? Towards the direction of travel. And the center of hub motor already has an offset towards red printed box - therefore back bumper end needs redo. Sort of lengthening. Or am I totally mixing up smth here?

• @Sirgu
    No, you're right, technically it's rear shock since it's mounted behind the axle, but since the shock is pointed forward, I called it front shock. I'm replacing the Pint rails, they're not long enough. I found 1-1/2x3/4x1/8 inch 6063 channel at Princess auto, of all places, 6063 isn't as strong as 6061 but hard to find 6061 in that size.
    $30 Canadian for 8 feet of 6063 channel.

• @lemur
    I made new rails as the Pint rails are too short, These rails are XR length and I can use XR bumpers, footpads and fasteners.
    The "hoop" is to add strength as the motor is no longer a structural member, also the hoop will be a rear mounting point for a custom fender.IMG_4526 1.jpg

• @lemur coolest f-in thing i've ever seen! total awe if this thing works like i expect it to work. i believe! Absolutely needs a video.

• I second for the need of video! :}

• @lemur great to see the development cycle progression. Looks much better now.

Congrats, looking fwd to hearing how the ride experience is. Particularly when hard carving. I'm thinking the suspension windup response coming out of a deep carve will feel quite different.