Tire Irony

• So, I normally don't look at my tire TOO often, but just happened to a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday after my ride. Good thing because there were threads showing through in at least 4 or 5 places! So I hop online and order a replacement FF Hoosier Whisper T2 (highly recommended, btw). I figured out that I had around 4500 (!) miles on my tire, since I installed it around 1600 and I now have over 6100 miles on my XR.

Figuring it could last the 3 days shipping time (which turned into a week, thank you FedEx!), I went out on my Monday ride. Well, about 4 blocks in, there was a detour on the roads I take to the bike path. I ended up in the bike lane for a bit and, wouldn't you know it, a full broken beer bottle, dark brown or green, appears in front of me and I can't avoid going right through it! Figuring I'd run over glass before, I pushed on.

At the turnaround point in my ride, I noticed a slightly lower than normal remaining charge. As I proceeded homeward, the battery was definitely draining faster than usual and I was trying to decide if the fact that I couldn't feel the cracks in the path meant my tire pressure was going down. Of course, that is exactly what was happening. About a mile from home, I had maybe 18% left and I normally get home with just over 20%. I pushed on slowly and with 5 blocks left, doing maybe 5 mph, I got the pushback and basically stopped with 6% battery left. I did the OW walk of shame and carried it home.

So here's the new vs old Hoosier T2:
    20210824_122749.jpg

I carve a LOT, but it almost looks like I don't even use the center treads, LOL.

Here's my 6100 mile XR ready for another 4k miles on the new tire (that's the original front pad and Surestance Pro Fusion back pad):
    20210824_141044.jpg

During the tire swap, I noticed both my float plates and bumpers all had broken screw holes and missing threaded sockets, so I ordered new bumpers and float plates, along with a mag handle to make the walk of shame a bit less shameful.

Thanks for reading and please check your tire more often than I do!

• @OneDan I can't believe that's the same tyre. It's just so thrashed, well done working it down that far!
    Although nobody advises it I see it as a badge of honour to get a tyre down to it's last breathe.

Would you say the T2 is as durable as the Vega? I'm assuming since it's in the "Whisper" family it's nice and round like the slick too. I'm looking for a replacement after the slick gives out, nice and carvy but with more meat on it ;)

• @Lia I think it totally depends on riding style. I ride 90% paved trails, the rest is gravel/dirt trails. At The Float Shop, they usually get about 1000 miles from a tire, but they ride hard. Once I tried treaded, I've never gone back. The side to side grip really helps, especially on grass or wet leaves. Plus, carving side to side just feels firmer. You can see the edges are rounder than the Vega and you can instantly feel the difference when you hop on.

I had the original Hoosier on my Plus, then the Burris and Hoosier T2 on my XR. The Burris was nice, but it was louder than the Vega, so I tried the T2 before the Burris wore out (has about 1500 miles on it, but still has tread left). I'd say the rides are comparable, but the T2 is definitely more costly. It's just SO quiet! I can actually hear the XR motor over the tire sound, it's that quiet.

• @OneDan You've sold me on a T2. As soon as the Whisper (slick) gives me signs it's nearly done I'll order one of those!

• Wait a minute ... probably so irrelevant but, @OneDan this original front footpad of yours - this cannot be the one that came with the board, right? Way too neat after 6100 miles!

• @Sirgu Original! Yep, 6200 miles and counting. Did replace the batteries at 1900 via @Future-Motion, but this second set has gone over 4k. Original bearings as well, still smooth and quiet, although thinking of swapping them since I live less than a mile from The Float Shop and I've been losing a bit of range lately, so thinking it might help.

I think the key to my board's longevity is that it's almost all smooth path riding. Absolutely no drops or bumps whatsoever. Just smooth floating like Marty McFly! LOL

• @OneDan -- It strikes me that if the shoulders of the tire are so worn, maybe an even rounder, narrower tire would be more in keeping with your riding style. It only took me a hundred yards trying a board with a treaded Hoosier 5.5 to fall in love with it.

• @OneDan said in Tire Irony:

@Sirgu Original! Yep, 6200 miles and counting. Did replace the batteries at 1900 via @Future-Motion, but this second set has gone over 4k. Original bearings as well, still smooth and quiet, although thinking of swapping them since I live less than a mile from The Float Shop and I've been losing a bit of range lately, so thinking it might help.

I think the key to my board's longevity is that it's almost all smooth path riding. Absolutely no drops or bumps whatsoever. Just smooth floating like Marty McFly! LOL

thanks for this report onedan! I too am amazed at the pristine condition of your front pad. After seeing pic of Dax's high miles board it's night & day.
    I carve all the time too so all the wear is on the outer edges of the tread. My og vega at 950 had pretty thin rubber at the edge when a piece of glass gave the lethal blow, I put a new witz motor w/burris t33 on and loved it. 1600mi later the t33 is holding up way better than the vega did. Same deal, only the outer tread is wearing down but I'll take longevity over lack of tread noise every time.
    I'm getting geared up for a 3000mi makeover; I have a New stock battery (range down 20% on the 2600mi often speed charged og batt) and foam grips ready to swap and was considering a whisper or trailpro but don't want to pay extra for a tire I'll wear out in a thousand miles. Really like that low profile fender too, (is it c&r) but I use a rear flightfin and don't like what the inevitable scratches look like in carbon fibre.
    Nice being close to an actual shop.

• @b0ardski said in Tire Irony:

Really like that low profile fender too, (is it c&r) but I use a rear flightfin and don't like what the inevitable scratches look like in carbon fibre.

That's actually a hand made Rambo real carbon fibre magnetic fender from back in the day, LOL. It has only 2 scratches on it from the 2 times I've come off the board (both low speed, so no fall) and the magnets let go of the fender both times to "save it" as the board rolled a couple times.

Other than that, I get on my board at home and hope off when I return with my feet pretty much in the exact position as when I left.

I'm wondering if I should swap out the batteries before they totally fade, but I'm also kind of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy. Definitely gonna have The Float Shop swap in some new bearings soon though . . . I've got a lot of miles on my originals.

• @blkwalnutgrwr said in Tire Irony:

maybe an even rounder, narrower tire would be more in keeping with your riding style

Perhaps, although the T2 felt a bit squirrely for me at first, so not sure rounder would be to my liking . . . especially trying to stand still waiting for a walk light! LOL